Penny Kittle: 4th – 12th Writing
February 27, 2015
8:30 am - 3:30 pm
PLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF LOCATION
Date: Friday, February 27, 2015
Check-in: 8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.
Workshop: 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Registration Fee (includes breakfast and lunch): $15.00/participant
Your district will be billed unless registration is cancelled one week prior to event.
Districts will be billed after the workshop.
Workshop Description: Write Beside Them: risk, voice, and clarity in writing
We need layers of teaching to effectively teach reading and writing while supporting the varied abilities of our students. This day will be composed of layers as well. We will study the moves writers make in poetry and short essays, which deepens understanding and provides vision for writing. We will write together because the teacher’s model of thinking & demonstration in reading and writing is our most powerful teaching tool. We’ll examine student notebooks where writers collect thinking, reread to find the heart of their writing then practice small steps in revision as daily practice. We will use visual tools to help students revise thinking before writing. Lastly, we’ll unpack the subtleties that make a reading or writing conference work. Come to share, wonder, and think about teaching together.
• Lead students to write, reread, and revise their words and deepen their thinking as a daily practice
• Use sentence study to deepen understanding of grammar & conventions
• Lead students to draft in scenes, compress and expand time, use flashbacks, and develop effective transitions to create informational & narrative writing that is dazzling
• Watch & learn as students create and wrestle with storyboards before drafting digital compositions scene by scene
• Motivate students to invest more in their writing. Consider the development of writing through short drafts to more complex constructions modeled by the teacher
• Guide students to flexible thinking in writing through regular, purposeful conferences.
Community of Christ Auditorium
1001 W. Walnut
Independence, MO 64050
Please note workshop address change:
Independence Central Office
West Side Cafe
201 N. Forest
Independence, MO 64050
Parking is available across the street from the main entrance of the Independence Central Office.
Please note that the following “Map & Directions” link is not accurate. Please use the link above for directions.